Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator and Seattle City Light Partner
Thursday, April 13, 2017
Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator and Seattle City Light Partner to Push New Innovations to Market
Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator and Seattle City Light have partnered to help entrepreneurs and early-stage startups bring innovative, new, clean energy and sustainability technologies to market. The Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator is accepting applications for its 2017 cohort through May 1 at www.CascadiaCleanTech.org.
Seattle City Light has pushed technology innovation since the very beginning of electricity. The utility launched the first incandescent lighting system west of the Rockies in 1886 – just seven years after the light bulb was invented. Today, Seattle City Light is one of the nation’s greenest utilities boasting a zero-carbon footprint, clean hydroelectricity supplying 90 percent of Seattle’s power, 40 years of energy efficiency and environmental program excellence, and some of the lowest electricity rates available in the nation.
“Seattle City Light is dedicated to delivering clean, sustainable electricity to Seattle businesses and residents,” said Sephir Hamilton, Engineering and Technology Innovation Interim Officer for Seattle City Light. “Working with the Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator allows Seattle City Light to engage emerging companies in that mission, identify technologies that match our needs and ensure they can be seamlessly integrated within our infrastructure.”
“The secret to cleantech startup success often comes down to meeting the right partner at the right time,” said J. Thomas Ranken, President & CEO of the CleanTech Alliance. “For startups working on clean technologies, that right partner is typically an innovative utility that can help validate new technologies and get them closer to widespread deployment. The Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator found a perfect partner in Seattle City Light and its commitment to clean energy innovation.”
Powered by CleanTech Alliance and Oregon BEST, the Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator delivers a structured accelerator curriculum, mentorship and industry connections to cleantech startups. The program focuses on business modeling, customer discovery, product development, go-to-market strategy, financial planning, funding pathways and creating the industry connections needed to succeed. Each participating cleantech startup receives:
- One-on-One Mentorship from cleantech industry leaders to help with business planning, intellectual property protection, marketing strategy, financing and more.
- Expert advice on manufacturing scale-up, prototyping and development.
- Investor connections and introductions from across the region. The 2017 winner will be invited to present to a group of cleantech angel investors.
- Business connections from both Oregon BEST and the CleanTech Alliance networks that deliver access to industry leaders and service providers from across the region.
- Hands-on workshops to assist with business model creation, product development, market development and funding strategies.
- Weekly videos, webinars and panels presented by industry experts. Each guides startups through the commercialization process while sharing valuable insights and lessons learned.
- Customer discovery assistance to hone minimally viable product and go-to-market strategy.
- Company and brand visibility from established CleanTech Alliance and Oregon BEST industry events, programs and marketing outreach.
- Access to prize money and in-kind services. Participating startups compete for non-dilutive cash prizes along with in-kind services from partners.
The 2017 Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator program runs May through September. Applications for the 2017 cohort close May 1, 2017. For more information, or to apply, visit www.CascadiaCleanTech.org.
About the CleanTech Alliance
CleanTech Alliance represents more than 300 member companies and organizations across the greater Northwest region. Founded in 2007 by business leaders, the organization facilitates the generation and growth of cleantech companies, jobs, products and services to advance the cleantech economy. CleanTech Alliance offers a range of business services and benefits uniquely designed to help businesses gain visibility, access services at a lower cost and benefit from public policy. Learn more at www.CleanTechAlliance.org.
For the latest CleanTech Alliance news and updates, follow us on Facebook,Twitter and LinkedIn.
About Oregon BEST
An economic development catalyst, Oregon BEST funds and supports innovative cleantech startups across Oregon, connecting startups with state and federal resources, while preparing these companies for follow-on investment through a series of focused programs. Oregon BEST provides leadership and leverages its expertise, resources and relationships to achieve impact beyond its scale. Founded in 2007, Oregon BEST is an independent nonprofit supported by the Oregon Innovation Council and Business Oregon. Learn more at OregonBEST.org