Source: Utilities Transportation Commission, June 30, 2020
New workshops, rulemakings, and upcoming dates
The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission invites the public to participate in its work to implement Washington’s 2019 clean energy legislation.
The 2019 Clean Energy Transformation Act (CETA) requires electric utilities to transition to a carbon-neutral supply of electricity by 2030 and source 100% of their electricity from renewable or non-carbon-emitting sources by 2045.
The commission is conducting numerous rulemakings, workgroups, and other proceedings to implement these changes along with other energy legislation enacted during the 2019 session.
- Commission headquarters remain closed to the public. Our staff are following Gov. Inslee’s phased reopening plan by teleworking. Open meetings and other official business will continue remotely during this closure. Please see the commission’s COVID-19 response page for more information on impacts to our operations and regulated industries.
- On June 17, Gov. Inslee announced that state employees will be required to take four furlough days before the week of July 25. In light of furlough requirements, the commission last week announced the following changes to its rulemaking schedule:
- The second draft Integrated Resource Plan (IRP, docket UE-190698) and Clean Energy Implementation Plan (CEIP, docket UE-191023) rules will be issued mid-August, with a target date of Aug. 14. These had initially been planned for release at the end of July.
- A CR-102 for IRP/CEIP rules will be issued mid-October. Adoption hearings for these rulemakings will take place during the week of Nov. 30, with adoption orders issued no later than Dec. 31.
- The commission will communicate any additional changes to interested persons if and as those decisions are made.
- The commission’s workshop to discuss the draft rules and questions posed in its Purchases of Electricity rulemaking (docket UE-190837) has been rescheduled to 1:30 p.m., Thursday, July 16. It was previously scheduled for July 15. A full agenda for the workshop will be posted in advance of the workshop.
Upcoming events and deadlines
|July 6, 2020||Comments due||Energy Independence Act rulemaking (docket UE-190652). The commission requests public input on proposed rules in its Energy Independence Act rulemaking. The proposed rules can be found here. Comments are due by 5 p.m. July 6.|
|July 15, 2020||Workshop||The Markets Workgroup will hold a workshop Wednesday, July 15, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., to discuss methods for energy, emissions, and renewable attributes accounting and how those methods interact with energy market frameworks, including the California Independent System Operator Energy Imbalance Market and Enhanced Day-Ahead Market. The public is invited to participate in the workshop.To participate:https://bpa.webex.com/bpa/j.php?MTID=m98a88a3b0489cdd3471c31c91e236cd7Meeting number (access code): 902 669 607Meeting password: 9xJtksED4e8To join by phone, call 1-415-527-5035.|
|July 16, 2020||Workshop||Purchases of Electricity rulemaking (docket UE-190837). The commission will hold a workshop at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 16, to discuss the draft rules as well as stakeholder responses to questions posed in the commission’s June 1 notice. A full agenda for the workshop will be posted at a later date.To participate via Skype, please use the following link: https://lync.wa.gov/utc.wa.gov/meet/aldcalendar/3K5CNQQKTo participate by phone, please call (360) 407-3810 and enter conference ID 6103028.|