The Washington State Department of Commerce (Commerce), in collaboration with the Washington Military Alliance (WMA), is conducting a short-term pilot project designed to help the State better understand how defense contractors can leverage foreign export opportunities as a diversification strategy in preparation for potential reductions in defense spending. Funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Defense Office of Economic Adjustment, Commerce has contracted with Seattle-based global advisory firm Adamant Strategies to select a group of qualifying companies that will receive consulting services to help them prepare for success in international markets.
Four defense contractors will be selected to work directly with Adamant Strategies to increase understanding of their product’s competitiveness in international markets and how to leverage the market advantage of their products. Adamant Strategies will assist in developing a focused international market entry strategy designed to identify and capture potentially high-value export opportunities and better position contractors for strategic growth.
In order to be considered, a firm must:
- Derive 40 percent or more of its business revenue from a defense contract or subcontract (can be a combination of more than one contract or subcontracts).
- Demonstrate actual or imminent loss of at least 5 percent of sales and/or production due to reduced defense expenditures.
- Be willing to serve as a case study participant, including senior management participation of approximately 5-10 hours/week for three months, will take place between June 2016 and September 2016.
- Be willing to allow the inclusion of certain data (descriptive information, but not confidential data) in public documents.
- Agree to participate in an international activity (conference, meeting, outreach effort, etc.) with the option to receive up to $5,000 in financial support for eligible activities from the Washington State Department of Commerce with 1:1 company match.
To apply, please complete the linked application by July 1, 2016 and return to:
John Schroder | Director