E8 is a not-for-profit membership organization of private accredited impact investors. Our sole focus is on early-stage cleantech companies whose innovations increase the sustainability and health of our planet. We meld our pursuit of profitable investments with our pursuit of a higher purpose – accelerating the transition to a cleaner future and a better world. Members meet monthly 8 months out of the year to hear promising early stage cleantech companies present their investment opportunities. Meeting locations generally alternate between Seattle and the Eastside and average 65-75 attendees. Meetings are also simulcast via WebEx for members outside of the Seattle area. The Executive Director is responsible for the effective management of those meetings. Further, the ED is involved in helping to organize the screening of deal flow, initial due diligence meetings and teams, and follow-on contact with entrepreneurs.
Throughout the year, members also attend educational workshops and networking social events with entrepreneurs, our sponsors, and the larger community of people concerned with making our world more sustainable. At times, the ED may be responsible for organizing local or regional field trips for the membership. With the direction of the Board of Directors, the Director oversees the daily operations of E8 and works to further its mission. As such, the Director will serve as the group’s public face and will have frequent contact with all its constituents, including cleantech entrepreneurs, members, sponsors, research partners, and national and regional angel groups. In carrying out these responsibilities the Director will also work closely with the Board of Directors, the Chairs of Board Committees (like the Screening Committee), consultants (like an Events Coordinator/Admin contractor) and volunteer MBA fellows (engaged in projects like data gathering, screening, due diligence and website updates, etc.) that the group may from time to time engage.
Key Duties and Activities
Our E8 ED position will require excellent networking and organizing skills to conduct monthly membership meetings (8-9/year), initial due diligence meetings, two showcase receptions and managing leadership events. The ED represents the organization, and may be called upon to attend or speak at partner/industry events, educational workshops, and field trips.
The ED is responsible for working with the board to attract and retain members and sponsors.
The ED is a common point of contact between the various committees and supervises supporting roles as engaged by E8. As the day-to-day executive of the organization, the ED is expected to maintain records of E8 business, such as financial reports and contracts; define, track, and present key business metrics; develop and present annual budgets, and manage/update the E8 website and social media presence. This position reports to the board, with direct supervision by the chair or co-chairs of the board.
● Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact professionally with members, sponsors, fellows, and the public.
● Outstanding ability to communicate effectively through public-speaking, in person and via written and electronic media.
● Well-organized with the ability to work independently and to handle competing priorities.
● Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a “virtual office” environment.
● Technology skills: must be proficient using Microsoft Office/Google docs; basic website skills, including the ability to update content via a user-friendly website tool (Wix) are a plus. Must be willing to learn to use Paypal for payments, Constant Contact and Webex for communications, and Proseeder and Slido for collaboration.
● Ability to recruit and manage cohorts of fellows, who assist with technology tasks, datatasks, due diligence, and marketing.
● Able to accommodate a flexible work schedule and work onsite at key E8 events (e.g. monthly member lunches).
● Shows initiative, yet takes direction well.
● Creative and innovative spirit to leverage this ED position to develop a larger progressive E8 footprint.
This is a contract position of 30-40 hours per week during the months that E8 has member meetings. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
We look forward to hearing from you. Please submit your CV and a cover letter and if requested please be prepared to provide references as well to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your creative applications and enthusiasm to be part of our team at E8. https://www.e8angels.com/
Download job description: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgdrjvoosdqkqsx/E8%20-%20ED%20Job%20Description%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0