This position will remain open until filled. First review of applications is scheduled for February 27, 2019. The hiring authority may make a decision at any time after the initial review date; therefore, it is in the candidate’s best interest to apply as soon as possible.
At the Department of Commerce (Commerce), we are creative, collaborative, and trusted. We identify opportunities to deliver critical funding and services to strengthen communities, we cultivate an environment in which we continuously learn, and we own our work.
The Office of Economic Development and Competitiveness is seeking a Managing Director – Small Business Export Assistance. This position oversees development and management of export promotion and international trade development services for supporting small businesses to strengthen the state’s economy and further position Washington state as a known source for world-class products and services.
- Effectively manage the SBEA team, foreign representatives (foreign contractors) and domestic contractors to optimize opportunities to retain, grow and attract businesses by improving and communicating Washington’s competitive advantages.
- Manage team, budget, projects, and resources to achieve goals and metrics per staff’s work plans.
- Manage the Request for Proposal process for new and existing markets (new overseas representatives).
- Develop and implement local programming (in Washington) to promote SBEA services and to encourage small businesses to explore appropriate international business opportunities.
- Ensure integration of international business assistance with other Commerce programs, such as foreign direct investment.
- Engage technical and regional trade development expertise to better prepare small businesses to successfully compete globally.
- Oversee the provision of export finance assistance to small businesses.
- Oversee the coordination of Governor’s Trade Missions, including meetings with Foreign Dignitaries.
- Represent Washington State and Commerce’s interests nationally and internationally on small business export issues and opportunities.
- Track and analyze ratings and metrics related to Washington State export results on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure successful execution of current and future State Trade and Export Promotion (STEP) Grant Program awards, as well as any other qualifying federal grants acquired, through full utilization of federal funds for export activities.
Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of international management and marketing, sales, or trade experience.
Experience working and living two years or more internationally.
- A master’s degree in public administration, economic development, international business or related field.
- Conversational ability in a foreign language relevant to targeted foreign markets.
- Extensive experience planning, managing and delivering participation in international events.
- Experience working with global supply chains.
For more information about this opportunity, or to apply for this or other great Commerce positions, follow this link.