About this Position
As part of the team charting a path to deep decarbonization, the Program Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the Institute’s projects are carefully planned and completed on time and within budget. Initial projects include managing the Washington state contract to provide technical support for the State’s 2021 Energy Strategy. The Program Manager will troubleshoot issues with team members and inform stakeholders of developments and progress. The Program Manager will also write reports, blogs, and help drive the Institute’s communications.
The Desired Candidate
We seek a Program Manager committed to a rapid and equitable clean energy transition in the Northwest, who is a self-starter; highly organized with excellent analytical skills; has a keen attention to detail; and is capable of managing a wide range of talents to accomplish complex projects. The Institute is a young organization that is expanding rapidly so a successful Program Manager will be flexible, resourceful, and able to grow and learn with the team.
Required Skills and Qualifications
We are looking for candidates with demonstrated project management ability: hitting schedules and budgets; communicating with different groups; multitasking ability; and strong verbal and writing skills. For this position, we particularly value:
- Demonstrated experience with creating the initial structure, scope, milestones, and measurables for complex projects
- Skill managing resources and communicating with team members efficiently
- Comfort making decisions quickly and executing efficiently
- Desire to contribute to developing the Institute’s working culture
- Strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for working with diverse communities
- Independence, creativity, and problem-solving skills
- A minimum of five years of experience in program or project development or related professional experience with a preference for experience in the energy sector or clean energy projects, programs, systems, and/or policy
- Ability to think innovatively and strategically about, and participate in, advancing the Institute’s long-term goals and development using an equity lens
- Strong familiarity with project management software tools, methodologies, and best practices; strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Teams, SharePoint, and OneDrive
- Familiarity with executing state contracts a plus, but not required
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Essential Functions and Specific Responsibilities
- Develop and manage detailed project schedules
- Track project costs to meet budget
- Manage relationships with contractors
- Use industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout project execution