Source: Washington Department of Commerce, April 20, 2021
Up to $7.8 million in funding available for Research, Development and Demonstration (RD&D) grants to support innovative and equitable clean energy projects.
Phase One applications for a new round of RD&D grants opens on April 30
Approximately $7.8 million in funding is available under this round of funding for Washington-based entities to engage in strategic research and development of new and emerging clean energy technologies that will help achieve state, national and international climate goals.
New for this round of funding
These grants will support statewide clean energy strategies that align with the 2021 State Energy Strategy and Energy Climate Policy Advisory Committee report’s recommendations.
This round of funding focuses on the equitable distribution of benefits from the clean energy transition to vulnerable populations and Tribal governments, and their affiliates (Tribes), including but not limited to Tribal colleges by prioritizing and incentivizing projects that:
- Establish a partnership or ensure a formal advisory role for projects in Vulnerable Populations or Tribes.
- Reduce the energy burden for prioritized groups and foster economic development
- Reduce emissions; increase access to clean energy and increase community resiliency for prioritized groups
- Increase Tribal energy sovereignty
One million of the total available funds will be designated with reduced match requirements for applicants including non-profits, local governments, smaller research institutions and Tribal governments and their affiliates, including but not limited to Tribal colleges. Please note that national labs are not eligible for this designated amount or reduced match.
In addition, applicants eligible for the remainder of the funds include, but are not limited to, national labs, established research institutions and private companies.
The application process will be conducted in two phases:
- Phase One Applications are due by 5 PM Friday, May 28, 2021. Applicants will receive a recommendation of “Encouraged” or “Discouraged” to submit Phase Two Applications.
- Phase Two Applications will be accepted starting July 24, 2021 and will be due on Aug. 20, 2021.
More information will be available on the RD&D website after April 30, 2021. You can also refer to our website for a snapshot of projects funded in previous rounds.
The RD&D Program is funded though the Clean Energy Fund (CEF). Washington’s CEF program supports research, development and deployment of clean energy technologies, smart grid innovation, energy efficiency and more. To date, the fund has invested more than $131 million in transformative projects and clean energy job creation around the state.
Subscribe to our Energy or Clean Tech mailing lists to receive Clean Energy Fund updates.