Thirty-six teams representing colleges and universities across the state competed in the UW Business Plan Competition Investment Round. The sixteen semifinalists included several cleantech business plans:
- GroBox, UW: Aims to make it super easy to grow your own fruits and vegetables in a small amount of space.
- LumiSands, UW: Develops revolutionary nano-particle color enhancer technology that makes LED lighting more attractive, affordable and eco-friendly.
- SuperCritical Technologies, UW: Provides a compact power solution that will revolutionize the way we generate and distribute electricity.
- UrbanHarvest, UW: Will grow the healthiest, tastiest, and most environmentally-sustainable produce available anywhere.
- ALTERNATE: Genius Lighting Systems, UW: Prevents business owners from wasting $370 million, annually, by eliminating unnecessary office lighting by offering office owners a smartphone controlled, energy efficient LED panel as a direct replacement for the fluorescent tube.