TITLE: Pacific Northwest Advocate
STATUS: One-‐year consulting position, starting January2015.
REPORTS TO: E2 Executive Director; E2 Western States Advocate
Organization DescriptionEnvironmental Entrepreneurs (E2) is a national, nonpartisan organization of business owners, investors and others who advocate for smart policies that are good for both the environment and the economy. An affiliate of the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), E2 works at both the state and national levels. More information can be found at www.e2.org.
Position DescriptionWe seek a dynamic and motivated individual to oversee E2’s business outreach and advocacy efforts in the Pacific Northwest. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with experience working with lawmakers and policymakers in Washington and Oregon, and with connections in business communities in both states. The Pacific Northwest Advocate, working with the volunteer directors of E2’s regional chapter and with E2 staff, will be responsible for organizing and expanding the Pacific Northwest Chapter and leading itsmembers on advocacy issues including carbon pollution reduction programs, a clean fuel standard, and ocean acidification. The advocate will conduct outreach both to prospective members and allies to build diverse coalitions. The advocate will also track legislative and regulatory processes, and activate members and coalition partners to inform and assist policy development.
ResponsibilitiesOutreach, Coordination and Research (70%):
- Coordinate outreach to clean energy, advanced biofuels and other businesses
- Analysis of relevant Washington and Oregon state regulations and legislation
- Engage E2 members and other businesses in relevant regulatory and legislative processes
- Coordinate with E2 staff, relevant NRDC policy experts and partner groups
- Convene meetings and events to build issue awareness and engagement
Writing and Publications (15%)
- Translate policy issues into blogs, newsletters and action alerts
- Write comment letters
- Craft materials for publication
- Maintain member records and information in customized database application
- Participate in E2 advocacy trips and board meetings
- Experience in organizing and advocacy work
- Experience working with business executives and lawmakers
- Experience or strong interest in legislative, climate change and clean air and energy issues
- Excellent time management, attention to detail and follow-through
- Experience working autonomously and remotely
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with environmental policy issues
- Experience with database maintenance, Word and Excel.
- Graduate degree in business, environmental studies or public policy preferred
Resume and letter of interest should be sent to E2 Western States Advocate Mary Solecki at email@example.com by November 15th.
Position will be filled ASAP, with a start date in January. While this is a one-year consulting position, we hope to extend this by demonstrating advocacy and membership development results.